Florida State University’s InNOLEvation™ Challenge provides students from all majors and all levels with the opportunity to gain valuable insight and experience in innovation and entrepreneurship and a chance to win $30,000 in prize money!
Congratulations to the 2019 InNOLEvation™ Challenge Winners:
- $10,000 Best Overall – Mark K. Scott Infinity Fund Prize: InnoHealth
- $4,000 Strongest Social/Environmental Impact — Jim Moran Challenge Social Venture Award: Impact Frontiers
- $4,000 Spirit of Entrepreneurship: Hummingbiird
- $4,000 Most Viable: Aquasist
- $4,000 Most Scalable: Inspecchain
- $4,000 Most Innovative: FRP Recycling
- $500 Finalist: Emergency Text Radio
- $500 Finalist: Paper Fairy
The InNOLEvation™ Challenge is a Business Model Competition with a focus on identifying problems and potential solutions, building effective teams and precisely defining the assumptions of a new venture, testing those assumptions in the field, and then pivoting (changing) based on the lessons learned. Students are rewarded for:
- solving real problems with their business ideas
- breaking down ideas into key business model assumptions
- getting outside the building and testing assumptions with customers
- applying customer development and lean startup practices to nail the pain and solution
- learning to pivot (change) until arrival at a customer-validated business model
- businesses with a social mission at their core will also receive consideration for the Jim Moran Challenge Social Venture Award.
The foremost goal of the InNOLEvation™ Challenge is to make this a valuable learning exercise for all participants. Students learn to build a business model by attending workshops provided by FSU’s Entrepreneurs in Residence, throughout the competition. The InNOLEvation™ Challenge has a business MODEL focus in which the idea for the business is customer-tested to enhance the odds of success, versus a business PLAN competition, where assumptions are made, perhaps flawed, and the business is established based on those assumptions.
Students are encouraged, but not required, to work in teams instead of working alone to develop their ideas. For best results, team members should have complementary skills and a wide range of backgrounds.
- $10,000 Best Overall – The Mark K. Scott Infinity Funds Prize
- $4,000 Strongest Social/Environmental Impact – Jim Moran Challenge Social Venture Award
- $4,000 Spirit of Entrepreneurship
- $4,000 Most Innovative
- $4,000 Most Viable
- $4,000 Most Scalable
- $500 per Finalist (if no award is won)
Admission to the Leon County Research and Development Authority Entrepreneurial Excellence Program (EEP) will be awarded to the First Place Winners.
Admission to Domi Venture will be awarded to the First Place Winners. Domi is excited to partner with Florida State’s Jim Moran School of Entrepreneurship, to sponsor the InNOLEvation™ Challenge Business Model Competition and offer space and mentoring at Domi Station through the end of 2018, a co-working membership, which is valued at $2,250 ($225/month for 10 months). Domi is on a mission to make Tallahassee and Leon County a viable and thriving option for startups and entrepreneurs by offering the resources they need to bring their ideas to life.